Monday, November 9, 2009

Too long since we last spoke ::

I am mortified to realize that it's been over a year and a half since I last posted.

A great deal has happened in that time, most importantly, I graduated from Grand Valley State University with my BFA degree. Not content to let that be the summation of my school experience, I am currently applying to several grad schools out east. I'm looking at getting an MFA in costume design, and plan on pursuing costuming as a career as opposed to illustration.

In April (2009) I had my senior show at GVSU ::


The gallery space!

My goal was to create a body of work which somehow encompassed all the things I was/am interested in: historical clothing, the deconstruction of historical accuracy in costumes for theatre, and paintings that support the stories behind the clothing.

I ended up creating two series of costumes: four historically accurate dresses from the beginning of the 19th century, one for each decade (1810, 1820, 1830, and 1840), and four 'fairytale' costumes that were loosely based off late Elizabethan styles. I also had three paintings which accompanied the costumes.


From left to right: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840



A Farb at Heart
Oil on Board

From left to right: the Prince, the Maiden, and the King

The Queen

The Royal Couple
Oil on Board


Love-shy
Oil on Board




I don't think I've worked so hard on anything in my life as I did when putting my show together, but it was totally worth it! Can't wait for the next big endeavor!

No comments: